Jevon Louis graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2011. His main practice areas are in intellectual property (IP) law and information technology (IT) law.
Jevon is also technically qualified and has a first degree in mechanical engineering also obtained from NUS. In addition, Jevon is one of the very few registered Singapore patent attorneys who has been qualified by examinations conducted by the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS).
Jevon’s practice covers both contentious and non-contentious IP and IT matters and spans technological industries (including software industries), as well as entertainment, and sports industries. On the contentious side, Jevon’s practice includes regular court work, as well as arbitration proceedings before the ICC, SIAC and WIPO in respect of both IP and IT disputes. In particular, Jevon is experienced in patent infringement and revocation proceedings conducted before the IPOS Registry as well as before the High Court of Singapore. Apart from patent-related disputes, Jevon has also been involved in other IP-related disputes such as breach of copyright, trade mark infringement and breach of confidence matters as well, and in obtaining and discharging interlocutory injunctions in such matters.
Apart from dispute resolution matters, Jevon also advises on IP and IT-related transactional matters, including the drafting of patent specifications, carrying out patent prosecution, preparing patent infringement and invalidity opinions, performing patent prior art searches, freedom to operate searches, patent licensing agreements, product distributorship agreements, services agreements for the media and advertising industries, and patent, trade mark and design registrations.
Prior to joining Ravindran Associates, Jevon was a Senior Associate at one of the largest law firms in Singapore and the largest law firm in South-east Asia. Jevon's portfolio of clients included big multi-national corporations in the semiconductor industry, marine industry and personal computing industry, amongst others.
In addition to acting on behalf of clients, Jevon also speaks at seminars, in particular on intellectual property matters and is currently on the IPOS Examination Committee assisting in the conduct of qualifying examinations for patent agents.
Some notable matters that Jevon has handled are as follows:
- Represented a large Japanese marine and ship equipment manufacturer against claims of patent infringement with issues of invalidity and amendments being raised before the High Court of Singapore;
- Represented a world-renowned company specialising in the staging of historical exhibitions in challenging the jurisdiction of the Singapore Courts in view of pending litigation proceedings in up to two other jurisdictions, advising on the merits of a claim for groundless threats of intellectual property rights infringement against the client;
- Represented a well-known banking IT solutions provider in arbitration proceedings before the ICC against a prominent Malaysian bank in relation to an IT contractual dispute that also raised IP licensing issues;
- Represented a renowned personal computer manufacturer against claims of patent infringement before the High Court of Singapore;
- Represented a European semiconductor testing equipment manufacturer in patent revocation proceedings before the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore;
- Assisted in representing a European semiconductor testing equipment manufacturer in a claim for patent infringement against a publicly listed Singaporean semiconductor testing equipment manufacturer;
- Assisted in representing an infant nutrition company in patent revocation proceedings before the High Court of Singapore;
- Assisted in representing an energy trading company in a dispute over inventorship and ownership of a patent application;
- Assisted in representing a major Japanese electronics company against a local telecommunications services provider in relation to the unauthorised usage of certain trademarks belonging to the Japanese company in advertisements taken out by the local telecommunications services provider.
- Represented a Singapore government linked company in arbitration proceedings before the SIAC against a US company over disputed ownership of intellectual property rights in defence related research and development;
- Advised a local tertiary educational institution on the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 in Singapore in relation to its marketing and IT policies;
- Drafted several confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements for various clients intending to enter into negotiations pertaining to the disclosure of trade secrets and confidential information; and
- Advised various clients on the filing of patent applications at a national level, and under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) mechanism (international and national phases).
Jevon is also a member in the following notable societies, associations and committees:
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, Intellectual Property Practice Committee 2014
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, Young Lawyers Practice Committee 2014
- Member, Association of Singapore Patent Agents
- Member, IPOS Patent Agent Qualifying Examination Committee
- Member, Catholic Lawyers’ Guild
- Member, SJI Old Boys’ Association