Alvin is a partner of Ravindran Associates LLP.
An Intellectual Property specialist since 2007, he was recognized as a leading lawyer in the field of intellectual property in the 2017 and 2018 editions of AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers.
Alvin has a strong IP litigation and enforcement practice, regularly acting for clients in patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets disputes covering a wide range of industries and technologies including life sciences, telecommunications, IT, electronics, food and beverage, fashion and design and semiconductors.
As a litigator, his strengths include an ability to recognize the competing legal arguments pertinent to each case at an early stage; anticipating opponent’s moves and strategies; breaking down complex legal concepts into byte sizes; and delivering clear, firm and practical advice to clients.
Alvin’s extensive experience in handling pharmacological advisory and patent linkage work has seen him act for several multinational pharmaceutical companies such as Eli Lilly, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Merck & Co, Bristol-Myers Squib Pharma Co, and AstraZeneca. Other past and notable clients Alvin has acted for include Nokia Corporation, Asahi Glass, NexPlanar Corporation, Rokko Holdings, JCS Echigo Pte Ltd, Aurigin Technology Pte Ltd, and Swiss Ranks Pte Ltd.
In recognition of Alvin’s patent litigation, patent strategy and counselling work, he was cited as a Patent Star in the 2019/20 edition of Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars.
Some of the reported cases Alvin has been involved in include:
- Novartis (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Bristol-Myers Squib Pharma Co  3 SLR 1194;
- Dr Babor Gmbh & Co KG & Anor v Sante De Beaute Pte Ltd  SGHC 159;
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc and Sheraton International IP LLC v Staywell Hospitality Pty Limited  SGIPOS 11;
- Rohm & Haas Electronic Materials CMP Holdings Inc v NexPlanar Corp  SGHC 310;
- Ship’s Equipment Centre Bremen GmbH v Fuji Trading (Singapore) Pte Ltd  4 SLR 781;
- Invenpro (M) Sdn Bhd v JC Automation Pte Ltd  2 SLR 1045;
- Astra Zeneca AB (SE) v Sanofi-Aventis Singapore Pte Ltd  SGHC 16;  SGHCR 7;
- Hoya Corp v Asahi Glass Co Ltd  SGHC 15;
- ASM Assembly Automation Ltd v Aurigin Technology Pte Ltd  1 SLR 1;
- Love & Co Pte Ltd v The Carat Club Pte Ltd  1 SLR(R) 561;
- Virtual Map (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Singapore Land Authority  SGDC; and
- N.V. Sumatra Tobacco Trading Company v British American Tobacco (brands) Inc  SGIPOS1.
Alvin also has an active non-contentious IP and technology practice, where he often advises clients in all aspects of IP acquisition, management, and commercialization; prosecutes and manages client’s IP portfolios; conducts IP and intangible asset audits; acts for clients in commercial IP transactions, and provides advice on regulatory law and compliance in respect of data privacy, medical, advertising and fintech laws.
He has also acted as de facto “in-house counsel” for Singaporean SME clients in diverse fields such as entertainment, food & beverage, medical devices, beauty and aesthetics, where he worked directly with and provided legal support to business stakeholders and executives.