Alvin began his legal career as a general litigator in one of Singapore’s largest full service law firms and has specialized in the field of intellectual property since 2007. He was recognized as a Leading Singapore Lawyer in the field of IP in Asialaw 2017 and 2018.
Alvin’s training in litigation and the broad based practice of IP and technology law allows him to straddle both contentious and non-contentious work. He has experience in several aspects of contentious and non-contentious work relating to IP including:
- complex multi-jurisdictional IP disputes and major IP litigation;
- advising clients on IP enforcement and anti-counterfeiting;
- advising clients in all aspects of IP acquisition, management and commercialization, prosecution and management of IP portfolios;
- conducting IP audits;
- advising clients in commercial IP transactions; and
- advising clients on IT, medical, advertising, data protection and other regulatory issues.
Alvin enjoys the cut and thrust of contentious IP practice where he has acted for clients in a wide variety of technologies including telecommunications, IT, life sciences, electronics, and semiconductors. His strengths include an ability to recognize the competing legal arguments pertinent to each case at an early stage; anticipating opponent’s moves and strategies; breaking down complex legal concepts into byte sizes; and delivering clear and practical advice to clients.
Alvin has been involved in several reported Singapore High Court and Registry cases involving patents, copyright, trademarks and confidential information, including:
- Novartis (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Bristol-Myers Squib Pharma Co  3 SLR 1194;
- Dr Babor Gmbh & Co KG & Anor v Sante De Beaute Pte Ltd  SGHC 159;
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc and Sheraton International IP LLC v Staywell Hospitality Pty Limited  SGIPOS 11;
- Rohm & Haas Electronic Materials CMP Holdings Inc v NexPlanar Corp  SGHC 310;
- Ship’s Equipment Centre Bremen GmbH v Fuji Trading (Singapore) Pte Ltd  4 SLR 781;
- Invenpro (M) Sdn Bhd v JC Automation Pte Ltd  2 SLR 1045;
- Astra Zeneca AB (SE) v Sanofi-Aventis Singapore Pte Ltd  SGHC 16;  SGHCR 7;
- Hoya Corp v Asahi Glass Co Ltd  SGHC 15;
- ASM Assembly Automation Ltd v Aurigin Technology Pte Ltd  1 SLR;
- Love & Co Pte Ltd v The Carat Club Pte Ltd  1 SLR(R) 561;
- Virtual Map (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Singapore Land Authority  SGDC; and
- N.V. Sumatra Tobacco Trading Company v British American Tobacco (brands) Inc  SGIPOS1.
Alvin’s belief in synergizing the experience and thought processes of a contentious practitioner with a commercial mind also led to him acting as de facto “in-house counsel” for Singaporean SME clients in diverse fields such as entertainment, food & beverage, medical devices, beauty and aesthetics, where he worked directly with and provided legal support to business stakeholders and executives.